when the judge replies - time limit exceed

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

Shahid
Learning poster

when the judge replies - time limit exceed

Post by Shahid » Sat Jun 29, 2002 4:51 pm

hi,
in many problem solving and in contests as i face the problem of time of limit exceed very much, even in the today's contest. To the gr8 programmers my question is, what steps did u take at first when u r facing a time limit exceed at first?

May be solution is changing the algorithm...but it is not possible always to rethink the problem again...so what optimization steps u take at first when getting an time limit exceed...
plz help me...it is too much frustrating for me..... :cry:

thanx in advance

tenshi
New poster

Post by tenshi » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:39 pm

It is suggested that before you code you must think carefully about the time complexity. Some program seems unable to brute force or prune,so there maybe a dynamic programming algorithm or other simple algoritm. Practice more, learn more.

If you want to know more, just visit the following site,
you will get reply very soon.( A lot of excellent programmers from China there)

Welcome to visit :
http://www.ioiforum.org/en/
Here to register:
http://www.ioiforum.org/userreg.asp

Shahid
Learning poster

Post by Shahid » Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:41 pm

can't anyone give me some more tips in this board?

dh3014
New poster

Post by dh3014 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:56 am

whenever I got a TLE reply, first of all, RETHINK the problem's algorithm...although it seems like a waste of time, but it may be the only way to truly solve the problem.
Only few (really few) problems I've written can be solved by just optimized my code. (there's one...10304)

By the way, if you sure the problem's solution is search, maybe you just need to use better cuts...and to extend your code.

Return to “Other words”