Please update JDK!!

Write here if you have problems with your Java source code

Moderator: Board moderators

Maniac
Experienced poster

Please update JDK!!

Post by Maniac » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:50 pm

Dear system administrators,

With a lot of fun I've been using this online Judge lots of times. Thanks for that.

Here is something I read about Java support:
'This installation supports most JDK 1.1 and 1.2 features (but not the whole set). We hope to upgrade to latest compiler version to add support for the missing functions'.
Now I know this has been standing here for quite a long time....

Is this update of the JDK ever going to happen?

Please, any higher version like 1.2 or 1.4 would be a GREAT improvement and there are a lot of things wrong with the current version (see other threads).

Yours sincerely and hoping something will change,

Erik

P.S. I've been trying to contact a system administrator by mail but unsuccesfully as I never got a reply

fpnc
System administrator

Post by fpnc » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:00 pm

I haven't received any message from you. Don't know if others have, though.

Java is not in our priority list, sorry. We need to redesign the judge system, and it takes more time than we have.

Also, other people suggested to include new programming languages. As far as they are gcc-like (the same syntaxis to compile, they generate .o files, etc) they can be studied. But, in case of Sun Java SDK, the whole thing is completely different, and nowadays we cannot integrate it easily. This is the reason we're using the gjc compiler.

Also, upgrading the gcc version is not posible as that would have a lot of side-effects. We cannot do it until a major judge upgrade.
Best regards,

Fernando N

chunyi81
A great helper

Re: Problems with Java

Post by chunyi81 » Mon May 03, 2004 4:03 am

To any system administrator, I observed the following problems when I programmed using Java in the online judge. For example, if I declare a class called Main, and I declare an array Main m = new Main[10], say, the online judge gives a compile error, but not on my PC.

Also, why is BufferedReader a restricted function/class? It can make use of the System.in field to read from keyboard input as well as files by typing the following in MS-DOS or a terminal window in Linux: Java Main < input.txt where Main is the class name of the program containing the main method, and input.txt is the input file. Furthermore, using BufferedReader also shortens the code for reading input to one line, compared with the one given for problem 100 in the online judge. The BufferedReader class will be very useful for Java programmers.

Return to “Java”