2246 Cracking the Code

Do you want to discuss about these problems? Go now!
Users are shared (no need to re-register).

Moderator: Board moderators

Andrey Mokhov
Experienced poster

2246 Cracking the Code

Post by Andrey Mokhov » Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:22 pm

Hello!

I try to solved this archive problem. But the problem statement is not so clear:
Your terrorist friends provided you with one last vital piece of information: ``The decrypted message will be in English."
Can anyone explain me what means in English. What characters exactly does they include to English and what they doesn't? I tried lots of variants, but still my program fails on some judge test.

Thanks in advance!
Andrey.

Adrian Kuegel
Guru

Post by Adrian Kuegel » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:09 pm

It means that the text contains letters, spaces .. like in a normal english text. And as it is english, you can assume that it contains also the word "the" several times.

Andrey Mokhov
Experienced poster

Post by Andrey Mokhov » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:37 am

Thanks for your reply!

But still not clear enough: is there any standard rule about is a character can appear in English text or not?
For example what about such as : , . ; : ' " - ? ! \ / | = + _ () and so on... The problem is that when I let all such characters appear in the text, my program fails even on example - it produces some bad output - lots of senseless charaters - it makes me think that not all of such charaters are valid in the given text.

By the way I made no suppositions about the. Of course in real life it appears always, but in judge tests... :-? Judges like making such inputs that stand aside real life to make a program get WA. :lol: It is their work. :wink:

Best regards,
Andrey.

Return to “ACM ICPC Archive Board”